[Mailman-Users] can't find smrsh wrapper in sendmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jan 14 18:37:00 CET 2006

Myo Zaw Nyunt wrote:

>As I am a new mailman user, I have a problem in using it. I can't find "smrsh
>wrapper in my sendmail program according to this article
>http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node32.html. I am using
>freebsd 5.3 with sendmail 8.13.1.

If you can't find 'smrsh' in your sendmail.cf per
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/node32.html> then
probably your sendmail is not using smrsh which means that this
section (6.3.1) of the installation manual doesn't apply to you. Also,
section 6.3.2 is only for 'unusual' situations so skip that too.

>Next quesiton is do I need to create a user account manually for each mailing
>list. I got a bounce mail back for my "Test" mailing list becase the sytem said
>I don't have this "test at domain.com" account.

No. You need aliases.

>Or, do I need to add aliases in /etc/mail/aliases. If, how do I add?

If you really mean 'how', the answer is 'with a text editor'. Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.049.htp>.

If you mean 'what', if you haven't overridden the Defaults.py
MTA='Manual' setting, the list creation process should inform you of
the required aliases.

Here is a typical set for the site list named 'mailman'

## mailman mailing list
mailman:            "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe:"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe
mailman"

The '/usr/local/mailman' part of the path is the default, but may be
diferent if you specified different directories via the --prefix= or
--exec-prefix= options to configure. Also, some of the above lines may
be wrapped.