[Mailman-Users] any info on this reported exploit?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Jan 27 10:52:22 CET 2006

At 1:00 AM -0500 2006-01-27, Jim Popovitch wrote:

>                                              I'm pretty sure that the
>  "insiders" fix their systems first, then tell the rest of us about the
>  patch, probably at the last minute possible.

	The "insiders" here are people like Barry, Tokio, and Mark.  I
can't speak for what they do on their personal systems, but my
recollection is that python.org wasn't updated until the patch was
publicly available.  And even I don't have access to their internal
discussions regarding such matters.

	So, you're no worse off than I am.

>                                                I challenge everyone on
>  mailman-secure (or whatever list it is) to NOT touch your public
>  Mailman systems until you notify mailman-users of the solution to the
>  next vulnerability.  Deal?

	They do have to do their development somewhere, right?  I mean,
you give them that much, I hope.  And they do need to do at least
some minimal testing on a live production system before they release
that to the public, right?  I mean, you wouldn't want to try using
something that had never been tested anywhere, would you?

	There is a QA process that such patches need to go through, even
if we're talking about a bug that is being currently being exploited
widely.

	In fact, the more it's being exploited, and the more dangerous it
is, I think the more testing needs to be done to make sure that it's
caught and completely dealt with, and there aren't any unintended
consequences.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755