[Mailman-Users] mailman minimal (memory) requirements?

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Mon Jul 3 18:31:49 CEST 2006

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to run mailman 2.1.8 on a system with only 32 MB RAM (and
> > ~100 MB swap).

> So, at an absolute minimum, this machine would require ~236MB swap space
> and ~56MB of real RAM, plus the OS requirements.  Given these numbers, I
> wouldn't try to run Mailman on a machine with less than 512MB of swap and
> 128MB of RAM.

FWIW, I'm running mailman on an openbsd system w/ 64M ram and 200M swap
on an old Compaq P90.  Active software includes mailman (2.1.5), apache,
postfix, and bind.  Not very speedy, but works well enough for <50 member
lists.

top tells me:
Memory: Real: 23M/47M act/tot  Free: 11M  Swap: 41M/200M used/tot

> I don't think you're going to cut down those memory requirements by much,
> at least not for Mailman itself.  You might be able to find a web server
> that requires less swap and RAM, and an MTA that is lighter in
> requirements, but in my experience Mailman itself is pretty much the same
> all over.

There are tiny web and smtp servers, but I suspect that most of them will
be missing -some- feature that mailman needs. While trying to shoehorn a
working system onto some "interesting" platform can be fun, life will be
easier if you can add a bunch of memory.

z!