[Mailman-Users] mailman minimal (memory) requirements?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Mon Jul 3 23:18:38 CEST 2006

Timo Schoeler wrote:

(...)

>> You can update it with "really minimal system": I added some more
>> swap, and mailman started :)
>>
>> So right now, it is:
>>
>> - debian running on a 200 MHz mipsel CPU / 32 MB router (ASUS WL-500G
>> deluxe)
>> - usb stick with 256 MB swap
>> - system on another USB-stick
>> - it runs apache2, postfix, sshd, openvpn, ez-ipupdate, crond, pppd
>> and syslog
>> - it acts as a internet gateway to a couple of PCs
>>
>> I wouldn't say that mailman is speedy there - an average operation in
>> the mailman web interface can take even 10-15-20 seconds.
>
> hm, that might be python causing paging on the machine; however, maybe
> if you use a httpd with smaller footprint (lighthttpd, thttpd) this
> avoids paging and makes the machine faster. just speculation, tho...

I'd gain a megabyte or two, perhaps I could get rid of postfix and
install something smaller, too, but I'm too lazy :)

>> But the thing that was the most important to me: web archive, works
>> fast, and on average, it takes less than a second to serve a page.
>>
>> Provided that it's not a PC, but a router with a size of a book, with
>> filesystem and swap on usb-sticks, I would say it's OK to keep an
>> archive of a small site.
>
> MIPS rules ;)

I forgot some numbers:

# free
Mem:         29664      25360       4304          0        652       7364
-/+ buffers/cache:      17344      12320
Swap:       255744      33296     222448

--
Tomasz Chmielewski

Software deployment with Samba
http://wpkg.org