[Mailman-Users] FW: No One Can Post a Message but the Server

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 18 05:00:22 CEST 2006

Dragon wrote:

>Yes, the Approved: line with the password gets stripped from the mail
>if and ONLY if it meets one of two criteria.
>
>1. It is the very first line in the body of the e-mail, there can be
>no other lines before it.

Actually, if it is in the body, it can be preceded by blank lines, but
it must be the first non-blank line in the first text/plain part of
the message.

However, there is a safety valve in that if the password is incorrect
or the Approved: line is somewhere where it won't be recognized and
stripped, the post will be held/rejected/discarded and will not be
sent to the list.

>2. It is used as a header (I think this is really the best approach
>if you can do it, I am certain this can be done in Python, Perl and
>PHP, not so sure, about a bash script).

The Header is definitely better. If it is in the body, there can be
issues in removing it from all alternative parts of a
multipart/alternative message. I'm working on improving this process,
but it currently can fail (and isn't even attempted pre Mailman 2.1.7).

>>Should the <list password> be the administrator for the list?  This is the
>>way it is setup for the server early Tuesday morning.  I hope it is correct.
>
>I believe the moderator password will work too. I am sure somebody
>will correct me if I am wrong. If so, you ought to use it because if
>it somehow becomes disclosed accidentally, there is much less
>potential for damage by malicious people than with the administrator password.

Excellent suggestion!