[Mailman-Users] Members list settings

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 10 02:10:16 CEST 2006

John W. Baxter wrote:

>I always worry about changing default values, but in this case the world has
>changed.  Is 25 still the right default in this age when few list
>owner/admin folks are on dialup?  Just one more thing to contemplate.

Actually, the distributed default is 30, but your point is still valid.

I prefer however to think in terms of the RFEs on this which ask for
various things from simply exposing the parameter in the web interface
to providing a radio button selection (e.g. 20, 50, 100, all) on the
pages to paginating without regard for the alphabet.

I like the latter idea which would allow, in the example of chunk size
= 30, for a list of 31 to 60 members to be displayed in two pages
rather than 20 or more. This can make it more difficult to find a
particular member in a large list, but the 'Find member' function is
probably better for this anyway.

Other thoughts?