[Mailman-Users] Mailman web-frontend on different server thanmailserver

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jun 12 18:48:27 CEST 2006

IT-Support @ AStA TU Darmstadt wrote:

>i have a tricky problem:
>
>Our mail- and webserver crashed and after a restore apache isn't running
>yet - it will still take some time to fix it on the origin server (so
>the web-frontend of mailman isn't working)- so we set up apache on a new
>machine.
>The problem is, that after the installation of mailman on the new
>machine, mailman logicly looks on the localhost for lists etc.
>
>What I want is (if possible) to use the mailman installation on the new
>server, but to take the lists and configs from the origin server

This is possible using NFS, but I have a hard time imagining how
setting it up and getting it working would be quicker than getting the
web server up on the original machine.

> - if
>this isn't possible - I would try to transfer everything to the new
>server - but the problem is that I CAN'T TRANSFER the mailserver!!!
>
>Incoming mails are still recieved by the origin server (postfix) an I
>don't know how to tell postfix/mailman that mailman now is on a
>different server in the LAN an it has to pass over all mailman commands
>to the new server...

In general, you need to have an MTA on the Mailman machine to deliver
mail to Mailman. You need to somehow configure Postfix on the original
machine to relay list mail to the new machine. How to do this is a
Postfix question that I don't know the answer to, unless your lists
have their own domain in which case you can change the DNS for that
domain to point to the Mailman machine.

Alternatively, you can configure Postfix on the old machine to deliver
to local mailboxes and use something like fetchmail on the new machine
to retrieve the mail and deliver it to Mailman.