[Mailman-Users] new users get welcome e-mails but posts aren'tgoing out

John W. Baxter jwblist3 at olympus.net
Fri Jun 16 02:35:41 CEST 2006

On 6/15/06 1:03 PM, "Rabinowitz, Ari (Exchange)" <AriMR at bear.com> wrote:

> Try checking to see if postfix is configured to only listen on the loop-back
> interface (localhost 127.0.0.1).  You should check the inet_interfaces value
> in main.cf.  If it says
> inet_interfaces = localhost then that is probably your problem.  Change it to
> inet_interfaces = all (or just comment out the line since the default is all)
> and do a postfix reload.  Then try the port scan again.

netstat -ln -p tcp
works in Mac OS X.  One should expect to see either 0.0.0.0.25 (Postfix
listening on all active addresses), or 127.0.0.1.25 (which the experiment
using localhost showed is working) plus at least one other suitable IP
address.25

If Postfix is listening, then either its logs will have useful information
or more likely the firewall needs attention.

(My usual netstat -ln produced between 2 and 3 screens of output in my
44-line window, hence the -p to reduce output.  Apple passes LOTS of stuff
around via sockets.)

  --John (who no longer has Postfix active on his Mac OS X machines)