[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Qmail - Cannot connect via SMTP

Douglas G. Phillips doug at sbscomp.net
Fri Jun 16 06:13:56 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
  From: Douglas G. Phillips
  To: "Mailman Users ML"
  Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:08 PM
  Subject: Mailman and Qmail - Cannot connect via SMTP

  I've run up against a strange problem working with a client's server.  They're running QMail and Mailman on a RedHat 9 box, using the Plesk 7.0 reloaded management panel.  After they ran the up2date command, as well as using the management panel to update the software on the box, the mailing lists stopped working.

  The only error that I can find is in the mailman error logs (sample here):
  Jun 15 19:51:55 2006 (13082) Cannot connect to SMTP server localhost on port smtp

  QMail is started via an /etc/init.d script that executes the qmail-start binary.  I can telnet to the SMTP port fine from localhost, and it accepts mail just fine.

  All of the places suggested in the documentation I've been able to find don't exist or aren't being used (as far as I can tell).

  Any suggestions?

  Thanks.