[Mailman-Users] Discarding nonmembers emails

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jun 17 17:00:21 CEST 2006

Todd C. Williams wrote:

>I have volunteered to train people on the use of Mailman version 2.1.7.cp2
>for PMI Portland (http://www.pmi-portland.org/).
>
>I do not understand the "Privacy options." "Sender filters", entry "List of
>non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically discarded".  I
>have entered an address and set the option "Should messages from
>non-members, which are automatically discarded, be forwarded to the list
>moderator?" to "no" and the administrators and moderators still get notices.

Notices that say that the post from the address in
discard_these_nonmembers was auto discarded, or some other notice?

There are 4 possible actions to be taken on a post from a non-member.

Accept - accept the post for the list
Hold - hold the post for review by a moderator - notify the
       owners/moderators in a daily summary and also immediately if
       General Options->admin_immed_notify is Yes. Also notify the
       poster of the hold.
Reject - do not accept the message but notify the poster.
Discard - do not accept the post and do not notify the poster.

The lists Privacy options...->Sender filters->*_these_nonmembers are
lists of non-member addresses and regular expressions matching
non-member addresses. The corresponding action will be applied to
posts from a non-member address that matches one of these lists.

Posts from non-member addresses that don't match one of the lists are
handled according to Privacy options...->Sender
filters->generic_nonmember_action.