[Mailman-Users] HELP!!!

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jun 21 16:29:54 CEST 2006

Kane STERLING wrote:

>I sent a mail out to one of my lists and it's sent over 50 of the same
>mail to it! How can I stop it immediately?!

If you have sufficient access to the server,

bin/mailmanctl stop

is the first step. If not, you have to get someone who does have access.

You can also turn on emergency moderation on the list's General Options
page.

Then you have to figure out what's causing this. Is a member's
autoresponder posting back to the list? If so, unsubscribe or disable
delivery to that member.

Mailman has loop protection that will generally not loop when for
example, a list is subscribed to itself, but depending on what's
causing the looping, this may not be effective as it relies on the
presence of an X-BeenThere: <list> header that may be stripped
somewhere in the loop.