[Mailman-Users] [Mailman-Developers] Sender field

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon May 1 15:34:24 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 00:00 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Sender doesn't instruct *conformant* MTAs at all, does it?  AFAIK the
> only thing that a RFC 2821-conforming MTA looks at is the Return-Path
> header, and it's supposed to remove that.
>
> So this is purely a matter of pragmatic self-defense against broken
> MTAs that do bounce to Sender.

Correct, and what we're trying to figure out is whether we need that
self-defense any longer.  The change to test this may be as simple as
commenting out "msg['Sender'] = envsender" in bulkdeliver() inside
SMTPDirect.py (a little more complicated if you want to do it just for
one domain though -- you'd want to test for something like "if
'xemacs.org' in mlist.host_name")

> Agreed.  For a number of reasons, I think this information can be
> useful.  As I mentioned elsewhere, the Resent-Message-Id field can be
> used to supply a UUID that we can trust (eg, for constructing
> canonical archive URLs).  Unlike the Received headers, these are
> readable by humans who aren't wall-eyed, helpful in tracing delays,
> for example.

It's an intersting idea.

-Barry