[Mailman-Users] Automatic deletion of posts by non-members of a list

Peter C.S. Adams peter.adams at umb.edu
Thu May 25 23:32:43 CEST 2006

Thus spake Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org>, circa 5/25/2006 9:54 AM:
> Generally speaking, the recommended solution is to automatically
> reject such messages -- which informs the sender, and allows them to
> take appropriate action.

In the old days, this was certainly true, but today, when 70-80% of all
emails on the internet are spam, you may easily find that rejecting all
those messages will (a) eat up a lot of your internet bandwidth, and (b)
exacerbate the problem by telling the "sender" of the message -- which will,
90% of the time, be a forged address -- that "their" mail was rejected.

I have a handful of lists set to "reject," but most are set to discard. In
my opinion, the poster should be subscribed to the list and set to receive
mail; otherwise they should have no expectation that their message was
distributed.

     peter

--
Peter C.S. Adams
Director of Information and Communication Technologies