[Mailman-Users] how to run mailman scripts beside being root?

Jana Nguyen jnguyen at ncmir.ucsd.edu
Tue May 30 19:39:48 CEST 2006

I am running other applications that needs to invoke mailman to create a
new list and add a member to the list
by calling "newlist" and "add_memebers" as user "tomcat".

I have mailman setup with ownership "root" and group "mailman".  So how
do I make mailman scripts "newlist" and "add_members" so
it can be run as user tomcat?  Although the permissions on these scripts
are 755 it doesn't allow other user beside root to create a new list
or add a member to the list.

So, when I run my application as user tomcat calling these scripts, I
get error:
Enter the email of the person running the list: jnguyen at test.edu
Initial jtest11 password:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./newlist_new", line 254, in ?
    main()
  File "./newlist_new", line 196, in main
    mlist.Create(listname, owner_mail, pw)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 488, in Create
    self._full_path = Site.get_listpath(name, create=1)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Site.py", line 65, in get_listpath
    _makedir(path)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Site.py", line 40, in _makedir
    os.makedirs(path, 02775)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/os.py", line 154, in makedirs
    mkdir(name, mode)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/mailman/lists/jtest11'