[Mailman-Users] Upgrade to mailman-2.1.9

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Nov 2 02:55:03 CET 2006

At 5:31 PM +0300 11/1/06, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

>  I have finally decided to upgrade from 2.1.5 -> 2.1.9, but I am being
>  hesitant because in 2.1.5, there was a patch to integrate spam
>  filtering into Mailman using SpamAssassin.

For one thing, you should be filtering using tools like SpamAssassin
within your MTA and not within Mailman.  Regardless of which version
of Mailman you use, you should not be integrating an anti-spam tool
like SpamAssassin directly into it.

For another, versions of Mailman after 2.1.5 gave you the ability to
filter on tags placed on the message earlier in the handling process
(e.g., by SpamAssassin that is integrated into your MTA), and take
hold/discard/reject/etc... decisions based on that information
*before* the list looks at whether or not the sender is a member,
etc....

This combination is extremely powerful.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.