[Mailman-Users] connection refused by lists.

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Fri Nov 10 19:12:14 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006, Gretchen at Ladyweave.com | 269-369-1114 wrote:

> A message to one of our lists didn't go through. Does the error message
> indicate a problem at the server or is it within the program? The list seems
> to be working fine now. Thanks for any advice you can give.

> <religious-educators at lists.cmwd-uua.org>... Deferred: Connection refused by
> lists.cmwd-uua.org.
> Message could not be delivered for 3 hours
> Message will be deleted from queue

Patrick already responded so I'll just add that it given "Connection
refused" that probably them mail server (not mailman) on
lists.cmwd-uua.org was not running. The server admin might have it down
for maintenance or some other reason. This is somewhat normal in the
scheme of things.

What is not normal is a sending server that gives up after a mere three
hours. Most mail servers try for four or five days since a system could be
down for a few days (e.g. a system dies Friday right after everyone leaves
for the day and is not noticed until Monday morning. Also, anecdotal
evidence suggest some sites turn off their servers over the weekend).

The sender who received this wouldn't by chance by on AOL? I've seen other
reports that indicate AOL gives up after three hours. A ridculously short
period of time and one that is guaranteed to generate a relatively large
number of bounces.

-- Larry Stone
   lstone19 at stonejongleux.com