[Mailman-Users] Approve subscription requests via mail

Georg Sauthoff gsauthof at TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sat Nov 18 13:48:28 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 10:53:08AM -0600, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 11:47 AM +0100 11/17/06, Georg Sauthoff wrote:

> >  PS: Is it ok, if I submit a subscribtion request for this list to
> >  www.gmane.org (a nntp gateway and web-archive of mailinglists)?

> Uh, no -- please don't.  Please see the archives for the background
> on this issue.

If the admins don't like the gmane.org project/service I won't send a
request to them.

For the background you probably mean threads around:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-February/049376.html
(the take, take, take and leaching arguments are IMO a bit far fetched.
 And e.g. as a user of different ml I read via gmane I am not feeling as a part
 of the private gmane community! It is just an useful tool (to
 participate in some ml community, if you will).
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-September/053344.html

> >  PPS: Perhaps you could remove the direct link to this list from
> >  http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/lists.html (in the left row) -
> >  because the list requires subscription.

s/row/column/

> The list does require subscription, but the archives are public.
> IMO, people should be able to figure out for themselves that they
> will need to subscribe before posting.

I am only talking about the left link. It is about 'good practice':
- you have an open list: just throw the ml adress, -request adress/link
  and archive/search link at the page
- you have an closed list, which is absolutely allright: don't just
  write the ml adress at the page (without a clear statement that it is
  a closed list)

At the page http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/docs.html  the authors
invite users to just mail to mailman-users@ ('Email Us' - left side,
like every left side ) and only 'suggest' to subscribe ('We suggest you
subscribe to the list first' - right side, 2nd paragraph).

And sure you link to the searchable mail archive from the faq and
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users, but not from
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/ (which is the first
place if I look for the searchable archives - of course then the faq
or directly via google).

> But Barry is the one who has the final word on that subject.

Best regards
Georg Sauthoff