[Mailman-Users] allow members of one list to post to another

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 3 16:30:21 CEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net>
To: "John Heim" <jheim at math.wisc.edu>; <mailman-users at python.org>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] allow members of one list to post to another

> John Heim wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to switch my department over from smartlist to mailman. We
>>currently have several smartlists configured so that if you're on one
>>list,
>>you can post to another even though you may not be  subscribed to the
>>second
>>list.  How can I reproduce that with mailman?
>

> The patch at
> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
> allows you to do exactly this by placing "@list1" in the
> accept_these_nonmembers list of list2.
>
> --

Thanks. I think I got it to work. For other newbies like me who might be
patch:

1. Download the patch to your mailman directory:

cd /usr/local/mailman/
wget
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php\?group_id=103\&atid=300103\&file_id=138283\&aid=1220144 -
O listinclusion.patch

2. Apply the patch:

patch -p1 < listinclusion.patch

3. Restart mailman:

/etc/init.d/mailman restart

I don't think it works unless you do step 3 which confused me for a bit.