[Mailman-Users] Using a remote email account as a message source

BigglesZX biggleszx at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 21:40:11 CEST 2006

Okay, the problem was with my MTA - Exim was not set up to play with
mailman, so after following the advice given in the Exim-mailman
readme, I have made some progress. The test messages sent previously
were being frozen by Exim because it was not correctly set up to
handle messages to mailman.

The problem now is with group mismatch - my mails are getting through
to mailman but the following is returned as an error:

  Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
  wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but
  the system's mail server executed the mail script as
  group "Debian-exim".

I have followed the instructions given by Roger Lynn on
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=303342 as to how to
set up exim conf files to invoke mailman correctly, but I still get
the group mismatch error despite setting the script calling user to
"list" and group to "daemon" as recommended. I know the error suggests
this configuration change is not getting through, but I have run out
of things to try (and my head hurts). Is there any way to instruct
mailman to accept another group without recompiling (I'm on Debian and
used apt for a package install)?

To reiterate my "versions": Mailman 2.1.8 on Debian with exim4 (4.63).

Thanks once again for your time.

   Biggs

biggleszx at gmail.com
http://www.biggleszx.com/