[Mailman-Users] Auto-deleting mail from outside .no?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Oct 17 21:15:15 CEST 2006

At 12:45 PM -0500 10/17/06, Patrick Bogen wrote:

>  Of course, the other side of this is that if there are legitimate
>  messages that get discarded, you won't know they were ever there, and
>  the person won't know they didn't get to you.

These are thorny issues, which is why this process should be done
within the MTA and not within Mailman.  If you reject the message
within the MTA, then the sending machine is responsible for properly
handling the bounces.  Conveniently for us, sending machines of
spammers don't do bounces at all, while proper MTAs should.

This means that rejecting a spam message within the MTA does not
generate "blowback" (a.k.a., "backscatter") for spam, while rejecting
a message within the MTA should result in a proper Non-Delivery
Notice (NDN, or "bounce") for legitimate messages.

Do this within the MTA.  Once the message gets past the MTA, you have
accepted it and are responsible for ensuring that it gets delivered,
and then you get into the thorny thicket of making sure that the
message is real or spam, and that you always take the appropriate
action.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad at shub-internet.org>

Trend Micro has announced that they will cancel the stop.mail-abuse.org
mail forwarding service as of 15 November 2006.  If you have an old
e-mail account for me at this domain, please make sure you correct that
with the current address.