[Mailman-Users] Obscure addresses problem

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Tue Sep 5 04:06:00 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:     At 2:06 PM -0500 2006-09-04, Dan Phillips wrote:

> Remember, what he's trying to do is to get pipermail NOT to obscure
> the addresses. This is completely unrelated to how the resulting
> files are used or what further processing is done on them.

I understand. The problem is that the standard method of using a
third-party archive solution should eliminate Pipermail from the
picture altogether, and instead replace it with the third-party
alternative. I have never before heard of anyone taking the output
from Pipermail and then putting that into a third-party archive tool
-- that would be like taking the output from sendmail and then piping
that through postfix, and clearly redundant.

I think maybe the OP may want to review the recommended method of
using an external archiving tool like MHonArc with Mailman, such as
described in FAQ 4.4.
Brad Knowles,

  Considering I have only switched from majordomo (used since 1997) on several lists a week+ ago, I just had not found all of the knobs yet -- nor did I even know what knobs I would need to twist yet to provide the archives needed. All other things are running great and I'm glad I made the switch finally.

  Adding "ARCHIVER_OBSCURES_EMAILADDRS = No"
  to mm_cfg.py did the trick and now have the solution.

  I looked at FAQ 4.4 and the method described there using an external archiving tool like MHonArc with Mailman methinks is a monster compared to my manner of cron-run scripts that updates my custom archives every 15 minutes to display the added messages. My need for a "fix" was minor IF I had just know where to look.

  Next, I'm just looking for a knob to drop the "display" of the archives in Mailman's web site and have members continue to use only the one they have been used to for several years -- and is not available for email harvesting. I still want to keep generating the mylist.txt because my scripts use that monthly file. Just don't want it to appear anywhere to the members or one that would join to mis-use it for spam lists.

  Would be nicer, it seems if Mailman "X"ed out the email addresses as well rather than the present "obscuring". I can imagine it would be little effort for spammers to download the Mailman archives and then run a script to return the emails from "xyz at adomain.com" right back to xyz at adomain.com. All the info is there gieving a false sense of security. xyz at xxxxxx.xx seems a lot safer to me.

  Anyway, truly appreciate the help from you Brad and especially Dan who understood my issue.

  I'll spend more time in the Defaults.py looking at more knobs there.

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone