[Mailman-Users] Config_list doesn't copy the "Public HTML Pages"

Ken Winter ken at sunward.org
Wed Sep 6 19:43:56 CEST 2006

Thanks for the responses on copying customized HTML files.

Dragon was right about the location of customized files:
/usr/local/mailman/lists/<listname>/<language>/.  Alas, I don't have the
permissions to write to those dirs, so it's back to cut-and-paste on the web
site.

Some other comments are inserted below.

~ Ken

    On 9/6/06, Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

    > The templates are stored in the filesystem, in a variety of different
    > places depending on whether you're talking about the standard
    > as-shipped language dependent versions, the standard as-shipped
    > language independent versions, the site-wide language independent
    > versions, site-wide language dependent versions, list-specific
    > language independent versions, or list-specific language dependent
    > versions, and that's just the six different potential combinations
    > that I can come up with off the top of my head -- I'm pretty sure
    > that there are some others that I haven't thought of.

    I didn't even know there *were* list-specific versions of that; could
    you tell me where they end up if they're created?

Mine (for an English language list) are in
/usr/local/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/<docname, e.g. listinfo.html>.  I
assume that if you have different languages you have to customize your HTML
pages separately for each language.

    > How you would pick and choose which specific templates are to be
    > considered as part of the configuration for a given list would be a
    > complex subject.

If all of a list's customized HTML pages are under
/usr/local/mailman/lists/<listname>/<language>/, they are part of that
list's configuration, and should be copied to the corresponding dirs for the
target list's.

    > Do you copy the site-wide versions or not?

I'm not sure where these live or how they get established.  If there is such
a thing as a site-wide configuration, I'd say cloning (copying) that
configuration to another site would be a separate operation or utility from
cloning (copying) a list's configuration.  The latter, whether between sites
or within a site, should take just that list's specific configuration
(including customized HTML files), leaving the list to inherit the target
site's factor-installed or site-wide configuration that have not been
customized for this list.

    > If you
    > do copy them, do you install them in the list-specific locations on
    > the other end, or do you install them in the appropriate site-wide
    > location?

In the site-wide location(s), whatever they may be.

    > And what if there are conflicts?

Since a particular HTML file appears in
/usr/local/mailman/lists/<listname>/<language>/ only if it has been
customized, I don't see how there could be any conflicts.  If a page has
note been customized, wouldn't that list just inherit the site's version of
that page?

~ Ken