[Mailman-Users] Running large announce list & forums

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Sep 7 03:40:23 CEST 2006

At 6:45 AM -0700 2006-09-06, Jack Stone wrote:

>   Being a nuB to Mailman (but old hand with majordomo), I have noted that if
>  a message is being processed out to one of the large customer announcement
>  lists (10,000+) that it seems the separate discussion lists' deliveries
>  slow down substanially -- from minutes to hours! One member report 18
>  hours from post to receipt.

That could be a result of a slowdown within the Mailman queue
processing system, or it could be a slowdown within the queue
processing system of sendmail, once the message it out of the hands
of Mailman.

To figure out which is which, you've got to look at the date/time
stamps for given messages in the Mailman logs and compare those to
the corresponding date/time stamps of the messages in the sendmail
logs, as well as looking at the date/time stamps which are put inside
the message itself in the "Received:" headers.

If there's a huge delay between the date/time stamp placed on the
message by sendmail when it first gets the message from Mailman, and
when that message for that recipient is delivered (as recorded in the
sendmail logs), then you know that the delay is within the sendmail
queue processing system, and you can apply all the appropriate system
tuning procedures that are specific to that MTA.

Conversely, if there is a big gap between the logged date/time stamp
for a given message in the Mailman logs and the delay is short
between when sendmail records having received that message from
Mailman and when sendmail then turns around and records that message
as being delivered, then you know that the delay is internal to
Mailman, and you might need to do certain other things to speed up
the process.

>   I've read most of the "tuning" methods, but have not seen anything that
>  might be best for this, except I *think* I have noticed a speedup if I
>  don't use "personalized" stuff, like on the footers. I know it switches
>  from processing individual messages to batches. Just wonder if that really
>  is the main culprit.

That could just be because you're handling a much smaller number of
individual messages, and doesn't really tell us if the root cause of
the delay is internal to sendmail or if it's internal to Mailman.  We
need more information.

>   Just wondered what others have done with this type issue. I have read most
>  of the "slow" message archives.

Without more information, it's difficult to tell.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.