[Mailman-Users] mailman integration with web pages (user passwords)

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 12 03:20:41 CEST 2006

At 12:01 AM +0100 2006-09-12, Alain Williams wrote:

>  * can mailman store email/password elsewhere (eg mysql database), possibly
>   in addition to pickle files ?

There is an unofficial patch to allow a MySQL MemberAdapter, yes.
But it will take some work to set up, as well as to configure the
MySQL database to support it.  And since it's an unofficial patch,
although I believe that the author is on this list and you're welcome
to ask questions here about it, there's a very small group within the
broader Mailman community that actually uses this feature, and that
means that there's not nearly as much support that you can get from
the rest of the community.

>  * can mailman use email/password info from somewhere other than a pickle
>  file ?

Through the MySQL MemberAdapter, yes.

>  * are there hooks that I can plug an external script in to when user info
>   is updated (added/removed/changed) that would let me keep/copy this info
>   elsewhere ?

You could write a custom handler, I guess.  Try searching the FAQ
wizard for "handler".

In any event, I think you're looking at needing to make some source
code modifications to get all this stuff to work together.

We're hoping to improve the situation with the next major release
(Mailman 2.2), but I don't know what the schedule is for that code.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.