[Mailman-Users] MM lists on Gmane

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Sep 20 09:27:08 CEST 2006

At 5:09 PM -0400 9/18/06, John A. Martin quoted JC Dill:

>     JC> The list subscription policy is that it is not OK to setup a
>     JC> public archive without specific permission.  When a
>     JC> subscription request is accepted the list server is saying
>     JC> "yes" to personal archives, and "no" to public archives
>     JC> without specific permission.  Gmane ignores this distinction.
>
>  Where are those restrictions expressed.  I do not see them at
>  <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users>.  I do not see
>  them in either the subscription challenge mail nor in the welcome mail
>  pertaining to a recent subscription to mailman-users.

That's a very valid point.  I thought we'd already covered this
problem last time the Gmane issue came up, but obviously not.

I'll talk to JC offline and see if we can work up some suggested
improvements to the wording of the respective templates and then we
can see what Barry thinks.  Once we have a consensus, one of us will
make the appropriate changes.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.