[Mailman-Users] Archive Search not pulling all files

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 21 18:00:52 CEST 2006

Moss, Patricia wrote:

>I am running mailman version 2.1.5.
>
>Everything was functioning normally.  I just received an incident
>request stating that the Namazu search was not pulling all archives.
>
>I looked in my NMZ.err file and am seeing the following messages:
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-author
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-author is not a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-date
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-date is not a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-subject
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-subject is not a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-thread
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/database/2006-Sep
>tember-thread is not a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/index.html
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/index.html is not
>a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/pipermail.pck
>/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/pipermail.pck is
>not a Pipermail message file! skipped.
>

>I am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this issue.  I looked for
>the error message in the archives, but did not find it. Any help is
>appreciated.  Thank you.

First of all, neither Namazu nor the material in FAQ 4.8
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.008.htp>
is a part of our Mailman distribution, so this post is somewhat off
topic for this list.

Second, I don't know anything about Namazu, so the following may be
nonsense.

That said, it seems to me that the above messages are normal
occurrences and are not indicicative of a problem. It appears that
Namazu is looking in the
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/documentumdevelopers/ directory for
messages to index. Presumably it is finding and indexing all the
yyyy-mmmmm/nnnnnn.html files which are the actual archived messages,
and it is telling you that the 'table of contents' and various monthly
index files and the pipermail.pck file that it also sees are not
messages which is correct.