[Mailman-Users] Daft question time

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 23 15:49:12 CEST 2006

Martin Dennett wrote:

>I've had mails from a number of ex-users of saying that they're told
>they're no longer members when they try to post (they're not!) but that
>they can still see the archives. Is it just a case of setting the "Is
>archive file source for public or private archival?" on the Archiving
>Options page to "private" to prevent them from seeing the mail archive?

Yes. Setting archive to private will require anyone visiting the
archive to go through the 'private' CGI and be authorized. The
'public' symlink will be removed and the 'pipermail' URL will no
longer work.

All links to the archive on Mailman's pages will be changed
automatically, but if you have any saved 'pipermail' URLs to archive
messages, they will no longer work.