[Mailman-Users] Can I send to mailing list but not ported newsgroup?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Sep 25 16:03:15 CEST 2006

Mike Avery wrote:

>However, every now and then I'd like to send administrivia to just the
>mailing list subscribers.  Is there an easy way to do that?  Or even a
>not-so-easy way?

The obvious, not very good way is to set gateway_to_news to No, post
your message and then set gateway_to_news back to Yes. The obvious
drawbacks are that this is tedious, and any other posts that come to
the list while gateway_to_news is off will not be sent to the
newsgroup.

A better way would be to modify Mailman/Handlers/ToUsenet.py to
recognize something in your post (a special header, a code in the
subject, ...) and skip it.

Still better would be to make a custom handler (see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>)
which would recognize your post and set fromusenet = True in the
message metadata. Adding this handler just before ToUsenet in the
pipeline will allow it to recognize your administrivia and fake
ToUsenet into ignoring the post because it came from Usenet.