[Mailman-Users] group mismatch error with postfix

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 2 22:45:05 CEST 2007

Neven Luetic wrote:

>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>wrapper script to be executed as group "list", but
>the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>group "root".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "list", or re-run configure,
>providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=root'.
>
>I read the FAQ, and the hints about file ownership of the mailman
>aliases file in combination with postfix. It is set correctly to user
>and owner "list" and 660:
>-rw-rw----  1 list list 6,7K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases
>-rw-rw----  1 list list  12K 2006-09-18 16:37 aliases.db

This looks correct assuming that the particular alias in question came
from the above aliases file and not from /etc/aliases* or some other
file owned by root.

>Then I tried to install mailman from source giving --with-mail-gid=list
>in case some other file is involved, but that didn't help either.

You have it backwards. The wrapper already expected group 'list'. You
would have had to specify --with-mail-gid=root to fix the above
mismatch. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>.

>The wrapper-script has ownership root:list and guid bit set:
>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root list 6,5K 2006-09-20 14:19 mailman

It doesn't look like SETGID is set. It should be -rwxr-sr-x.