[Mailman-Users] Topics and senders

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Apr 2 23:58:30 CEST 2007

Martin Dennett wrote:

>I have a test list, and tried this out. I subscribed a couple of extra
>accounts of mine to the list, and set them to No Mail (disabled by
>administrator). Sending a mail to the list with the "Urgent: <password>"
>header worked for my normal account (this one), but not for the other
>accounts. Any ideas as to why? I assume it's the (A) flag?

It shouldn't be. The Urgent: header does one of two things. If the
password is correct, it bypasses all the filters including nomail for
any reason and makes the recipient list equal to all the list members,
regular and digest.. If the password is not correct, it just sends the
message back to you with the same subject and wrapped with another
part that says

  Your urgent message to the <listname> mailing list was not authorized
  for delivery.  The original message as received by Mailman is
  attached.

Are you sure that's not what you received?

>On a better note, I checked the headers and found that the password
>doesn't appear ;-). Don't want my more savvy members checking things out
>and discovering what they shouldn't ;-)

That's right. The Urgent: header will be removed before the message is
sent to the list members.