[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 13 09:57:27 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles writes:
 > At 4:25 PM +0900 4/12/07, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > >  And on which host?  Ie, is it that joe at example.com composes a message
 > >  "To: nine at virtual.dom", and the MTA at example.com is rewriting that
 > >  to "To: nine at hosting-service.dom"?  If so, it's purely a DNS issue and
 > >  neither Mailman nor Mailman's MTA can do anything about it.  Or is the
 > >  MTA at hosting-service.dom rewriting it before redistributing?  Or
 > >  what?
 >
 > Well, the way that the standards were previously interpreted was that
 > this sort of transformation should always be done, and on all hosts
 > that would be touching the message.  So, even if you didn't do it,
 > the machine downstream should.

Right, my point is that readers of the Mailman FAQ are are there
because they're thinking "Mailman 'should' be able to do something
about this", but as I understand it (I haven't actually had to deal
with, so I haven't seen it "in the wild") you've saying the rewriting
could be happening *anywhere*, so there's not much that Mailman can
do.

So site admins need to make sure via the DNS, not Mailman, that what
goes out is what is going to come back.  Right?