[Mailman-Users] Importing archives again

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Fri Apr 20 22:42:22 CEST 2007

Hi All--

On 4/20/07, Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org> wrote:
> At 2:05 PM -0600 4/20/07, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
>
> The .txt files are the text version of the "cooked" archives.  They
> are not in "raw" mbox format.  The format is close to that of a "raw"
> mbox, and it wouldn't take too much work to turn them back into a
> "raw" mbox format file.  However, a lot of headers and other
> information will have been thrown away.

I realize that.  However, the person who upgraded from an early
version of Mailman to an early version of Mailman 2 failed to keep the
raw mboxen.

> If at all possible, when you're working with archives and you want to
> import or regenerate them, you always want to work from the original
> "raw" mbox format files.  That way you minimize the amount of
> information that might accidentally be lost.

It would have been nice, yes, but sadly it is not possible to recover
the mbox files from five years ago.  For one thing, the server they
were on has been completely trashed (as in sent to the recyclers).

I'll be happy to simply retrieve the text and whatever headers that I
can.  I've actually been able to do that, although the recovered early
archives have really sucky headers.  What I've got right now is a vast
improvement over nothing at all.  But if I can make it better without
risking archive loss I'd like to.

Metta,
Ivan
--