[Mailman-Users] mailing to list problems

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Apr 21 00:37:50 CEST 2007

Andy Goldzweig wrote:

>On Apr 20, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Andy Goldzweig wrote:
>>
>>> When I send a message to the list
>>> the only place I get the message is locally on the box and not to
>>> names listed as members.
>>

>> I'm not clear on what you mean by "the only place I get the message is
>> locally on the box and not to names listed as members".
>>
>> Do you mean the message is delivered to Mailman, but not sent out at
>> all, or do you mean the message is sent out to local users, but remote
>> users don't receive it? It seems you mean the former, but I'm not
>> sure.
>
>What I mean is that I put myself as a member goldzwei at domain.edu
>
>And I am sending the mail as root from the box I am on to the list.
>But the only mail I see show up is to goldzwei at myhost.domain.edu

So perhaps what is happening is the message is being held for approval
because it is from a non-list member and a notice is being sent to the
list owner (you?)

>That is where I am stuck.  Why is it sending a message to my local
>account when that user is not on the list.

Maybe because it is sending something back to the sender (root) and
that goes to you. Maybe because it is sending to the list-owner and
that is you.

What is the content of the message that it sends to you?

>> Check all of Mailman's logs for anything relevant.
>
>error log is empty
>smtp show the emails when the list is created and when users are added

What about vette and smtp-failure? Do they exist? If so, what's in
them. What about qrunner?

>> Are there any candidate recipients of the message? I.e. is there a
>> list
>> regular (not digest) member with delivery enabled who is not the
>> poster and who is not a direct addressee of the post?
>
>I didn't make any changes to the list.  I created it with newlist and
>used my @domain.edu address as the owner

Did you add any members? Are those members regular or digest?