[Mailman-Users] Lists stop working

bjames at cisco.com bjames at cisco.com
Sat Apr 28 02:02:45 CEST 2007

--> On Thursday 26 April 2007 22:49:21 bjames at cisco.com wrote:
--> > Did you ever find a solution to this issue?
--> >
--> > I realize that this is a really old posting:
--> >
--> > 	I send an eMail to one of the lists, I can see in my /var/log/maillog;
--> >
--> > 	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2756]: h5A9R392002756:
--> > 	     from=<Niklas.Nikitin at xxx
--> >              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
--> >              size=502, class=0, nrcpts=1,
--> > 	     msgid=<5.2.1.1.2.20030610112857.00b9b740 at xxx
--> >              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >,
--> >              proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA,
--> > 	     relay=cassini.xxx [193.10.220.37]
--> >
--> > 	     Jun 10 11:27:03 osiris sendmail[2757]: h5A9R392002756:
--> > 	     to="|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post nicke-test",
--> > 	     ctladdr=<nicke-test at xxx
--> >              <http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/mailman-users> >
--> > (8/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00,
--> > 	     mailer=prog, pri=30704, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
--> >
--> > 	that the server is receiving the eMail and is forwarding it to
--> >         Mailman. But in Mailman's logs I will not find any information
--> >         that it has received the eMail and no eMail is sent to the members
--> >         on the list. If I dump all members of the list to a file, remove
--> >         the list, create the list again and add all members, the list is
--> >         working again for a while, and then it repeats again.
--> >
--> > but I've run into a very similar problem with two mailing lists that are
--> > managed using the current release of Mailman.
--> >
--> > The first symptom was that messages sent to the mailing lists were not
--> > distributed to the list, and did not show up in the list archive.
--> >
--> > After my ISP reinstalled Mailman, messages to the list started to show
--> > up in the list archive again. But the messages were still not distributed
--> > to members of the list.
--> >
--> > We found that if we add a new user, then a message to the list *is*
--> > delivered to that new user, but still not to any of the existing users.
--> >
--> > If the *new* user posts a message, that message appears in the list
--> > archive and the message is delivered to the entire mailing list.
--> >
--> > There doesn't seem to be a way to dump and reload the mailing list that
--> > preserves all per-list-member configuration options, so if possible,
--> > we'd like to avoid that workaround.  Especially if it only works
--> > temporarily.
--> >
--> > Any insight / help / pointers appreciated.
--> >
--> I had an oddity which may/maynot have some relevance..
-->
--> We subscribed someone to a list with a specific email address.
--> They confirmed the subscription using web interface. Subsequently
--> mails from that member were received in the way you described and
--> were passed to mailman but did not get posted to the list.
-->
--> I suggest you  examine the headers  of incoming mails,as they are
--> intially received, and outgoing mails to those subscribers who are
--> not receiving the mails.. There could be some changes being made to
--> the headers either by the subscribers server or your own that is
--> causing mails to be not delivered.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't believe it applies in our case.
There are several hundred subscribers on each list, with over 200
different mail domains (hence many different servers).

A message from a newly added subscriber is accepted, logged in the
archive, and distributed to all the members of the mailing list.

A message from a existing subscriber is accepted, logged in the
archive, confirming that it was seen and processed (at some level)
by Mailman.  The message *is* distributed to the newly added members
of the mailing list.  But it is not distributed to any of the existing
members.

I do not have direct access to the list server system; I am working
through our ISP's support service.  Any suggestions for what I can
tell them to look for, in Mailman log files or queues or other places,
to see why Mailman does not redistribute a message:

    - from an existing subscriber
    - to any existing subscriber

but (as far as we can tell) is working correctly in all other permutations?

Thanks.

Beau

--> david
-->