[Mailman-Users] Base64 Encoding -Greek characters- Part of the problem solved

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Apr 28 19:43:35 CEST 2007

On 4/28/07, test at social.soc.uoc.gr wrote:

>  I've managed to solve the biggest part of the problem. The problem was
>  initiated by Mailscanner. For every email in my mail server, the header of
>  every email was modified and lines like the following were added:

If you check your previous message at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-April/056811.html>,
you will note that these are not being inserted as actual headers in
the message, although it probably appears that way to you.  There was
a blank line between the last "real" header and these lines, which
made them part of the message body.

If you look at the original message as you sent it, it had the MIME headers:

So, SquirrelMail was sending things just fine, without a
content-transfer-encoding of base64.  And it doesn't look like
MailScanner changed anything here.  Of course, the original message
was probably 7-bit clean in US-ASCII (as opposed to using eight-bit
accented Greek characters), so without more information we don't know
for sure where the conversion to base64 was happening.

>  For some reason this caused mailman to encode emails with base64, so being
>  unreadable by the recipients.
>  I reconfigured Mailscanner so as the headers are not modified and my
>  (happy) recipients can now read the emails.

The clients should still have been able to deal with base64 in a
transparent manner, so this is clearly also a client problem.