[Mailman-Users] Base64 Encoding -Greek characters- Part of theproblem solved

test at social.soc.uoc.gr test at social.soc.uoc.gr
Sat Apr 28 20:09:03 CEST 2007

Before changing the configuration of mailscanner, i performed a test that
gave surprising results (for me).

I sent an email to "mylist" containing greek characters.
Then, i opened mailman's web interface as the list's moderator to decide
about the fate of the incoming email.
In the email's body there were unreadable characters such as =E1=E2=E3.
Then, i chose "Additionally, forward this message to:
anotherguy at mydomain.com" and then "Approve".

The members of the list received unreadable base64 encoded characters
while the anotherguy at mydomain.com received proper greek characters.

Is this not strange?

Alex

> test at social.soc.uoc.gr wrote:
>>
>>I've managed to solve the biggest part of the problem. The problem was
>>initiated by Mailscanner. For every email in my mail server, the header
>> of
>>every email was modified and lines like the following were added:
>>
>>"X-Faculty of Social Sciences-MailScanner-Information: Please contact the
>>ISP for more information X-Faculty of Social Sciences-MailScanner: Found
>>to be clean X-Faculty of Social Sciences-MailScanner-From:
>>test at social.soc.uoc.gr
>>
>>For some reason this caused mailman to encode emails with base64, so
>> being
>>unreadable by the recipients.
>>I reconfigured Mailscanner so as the headers are not modified and my
>>(happy) recipients can now read the emails.
>

> This will only work if both msg_header and msg_footer are empty and
> scrub_nondigest is No. Even in this case, There will be an issue with
> the plain format digest if the character set of the list's
> preferred_language does not support Greek characters.
>
> --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
>

> --
> believed to be clean.