[Mailman-Users] Can this be done using Mailman?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Mon Aug 20 17:05:59 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> DAve wrote:
>> Brad Knowles wrote:

>>> I would think so, yes.  But you should probably wait for an answer from
>>> someone who knows better how that part of the code actually works, like
>>> maybe Mark Sapiro or Tokio.
>>>
>> Doesn't look like that answer is coming, I must be treading new ground.
>> Is anyone interested in the answer if I setup a test install and try it?
>

> Sometimes people are out of electronic contact for weeks at a time :)

Hey I wasn't complaining! I figured I would just go try it myself so I
did. It works exactly as you describe below which is what we want.

Now we just have to figure out how to manage the addresses and user
preferences for it looks like it could go 100k subscribers. Currently we
use ezmlm and we manage all subscriptions via a management interface and
SQL which syncs the subscriber list with the client's AS400. We will
check out the xmlrpc patch as well.

We are reading the FAQ on high volume lists and searching the archives now.

Thanks,

DAve

> Topics are defined for a list.
>
> Each member may subscribe to zero or more of the defined topics, and may
> additionally choose to receive messages which don't match any topic. If
> the member subscribes to zero topics, she receives all list messages. If
> the member subscribes to one or more topics, she receives (one copy) of
> all messages matching any of the subscribed topics, and if opted, those
> messages which match no topic.
>
> Each topic definition includes a regexp which is matched against the
> Subject: header, the Keywords: header if any, and any initial body lines
> that look like Subject: or Keywords: headers up to the first non-header
> like body line or topics_bodylines_limit, whichever comes first.
>

>> As we understand it you can have topics, and subscribers will only
>> receive messages directed at the topics they subscribe to.
>

> Plus messages which match no topic if they choose. But, since this is an
> announce list, you should be able to guarantee that all messages will
> match one or more topics.
>

>> This means a
>> subscriber could subscribe to [members], [stores], and [retailers], if
>> we send a message to [stores] they will receive it. If we send a message
>> to all topics, subscribers will receive only one message. This is what
>> we want.
>

> I don't understand what you mean by "all topics".
>

>> However, if we send a message only to [stores] and to [members],
>> subscribers will receive two copies.
>

> No. Those members subscribed to either [stores] or to [members] or to
> both will each receive exactly one copy of the message.
>

>> This is not what we want. In order
>> to have a subscriber receive only one copy of the message, the message
>> must go to ALL topics, [stores], [members], [retailers], [malls],
>> [gas_stations], [gas_stations_with_inside_bathrooms],
>> [gas_stations_with_outside_bathrooms_in_north_dakota], etc. Not what we
>> want.
>

> The above is not correct. Each list member will receive either zero or
> one message depending on whether or not the message matches at least one
> subscribed topic.
>
> - --
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,

Veterans?