[Mailman-Users] Mailman, Lighttpd, & file permissions

Jeffrey Rice jeffrice at finity.org
Tue Aug 28 18:33:43 CEST 2007

Hello,
This seems like it should be in a FAQ somewhere, but I can't find the
answer there or in the archives.

I am setting up Mailman to run with my chrooted Lighttpd installation.
Lighttpd runs as www-data:www-data, and is chrooted to /var/www.
Mailman is running is list:list, as installed by the Debian package.  I
am trying to work out the best way to get the file permissions sorted
out.  These should be more-or-less the same as would be needed for
Apache.  Is there a good reference for this?

A number of directories I have chowned to www-data: the cgi-bin, and so
on.  But I am unclear on which directories mailman itself needs to have
write access to, or the most elegant way to resolve this.

Does anyone simply run mailman as www-data?  When I tried adding
www-data to the list group, it didn't solve the errors I was getting.

Jeff