[Mailman-Users] Recipe for (mailman+postfix) <-> exchange?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Aug 29 04:38:33 CEST 2007

Morgan Fletcher wrote:

>Hi. I work at a small company with an externally hosted Exhange server
>for an MTA. DNS is also externally managed. We'd like to set up mailing
>lists and I'd like to use Mailman to do it. We have a linux machine
>internally on which I've installed Mailman & Postfix. I can configure
>this machine to be aliased lists.domain.com and get our local name
>server to make it available as such. What else do I have to do to get
>mail from and to lists.domain.com via Exchange? Some list members would
>be within our company network, some would be external. We'd make the
>necessary ports on lists.domain.com accessible to the outside world.

Can the Linux machine communicate directly with the internet at large?

If not, most of this is Exchange configuration. I.e. Exchange needs to
route incoming mail to the lists.domain.com domain to the Linux
machine. This may require an MX record to first route mail to
lists.domain.com to the Exchange server, and something to tell
exchange where to send this mail.

Also, Postfix will need to be configured to route all mail to the
Exchange server and Exchange configured to relay mail from the Linux
machine.

OTOH, if the Linux machine can communicate with the internet, it seems
you can bypass Exchange alltogether and let the Linux machine handle
its own incoming and outgoing mail.