[Mailman-Users] problems with new web host and "too many complaints"

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Fri Aug 31 14:29:32 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
> Well, you haven't really given us any real details as to the nature of
> the problem or the nature of the complaints.  So, I'm not sure that
> anyone can give you any advice that will be useful.
>
> I can say that I'd expect to see more support from your new ISP, and
> if they're willing to treat you this way this soon after you switched,
> I have to wonder how they're going to treat you in the future.
First, I want to say thanks to Kyle Banerjee who responded off list with
a lot of great advice.  To summarize the problem again, the complaints
are really in response to the newsletter.  The web host in question has
had some bad press lately, mainly with respect to being a major source
of blog comment spam, so possibly they are overreacting to compensate.

In a nutshell, it is way too easy for people to sign up for the list,
which is what I have been telling them all along, but unfortunately,
they had to learn this the hard way.  They should include their phone
number in the newsletter to give people another way to respond, since
some people are paranoid about clicking on links in messages.  For
CAN-SPAM compliance, they should also include their postal address,
which they have not been doing.

Trying to find a technical solution to the problem, such as using a
different domain name in the messages, is pretty much begging to have
their account terminated altogether per AUP, especially since the host's
AUP is incredibly vague with respect to spam--they pretty much get to
dictate whether they think it's spam or not, including requiring to ask
all of the subscribers to opt-in again or be removed from the list.

Jonathan