[Mailman-Users] Received mail not always going to list

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 4 03:38:59 CET 2007

Jeffrey Hugo wrote:

>I don't suppose there is a patch for the patch?  That would be too easy.

You could try contacting the author via sourceforge
<https://sourceforge.net/users/jhenstridge/>.

You could find the code in Mailman/Handlers/spamd.py around line 122
that says:

        try:
            sock.send(request)
            sock.send(message)
            sock.shutdown(1) # shut down the send half of the socket
        except (socket.error, IOError):
            raise error('could not send request to spamd')

        fp = sock.makefile('rb')
        response = fp.readline()
        words = response.split(None, 2)

And change it to:

        try:
            sock.send(request)
            sock.send(message)
            sock.shutdown(1) # shut down the send half of the socket
        except (socket.error, IOError):
            raise error('could not send request to spamd')

        try:
            fp = sock.makefile('rb')
            response = fp.readline()
        except (socket.error, IOError):
            raise error('could not read reply from spamd')

        words = response.split(None, 2)

If I read the code correctly, this will have the effect of logging the
error in Mailman's error log and giving the message a spamassassin
score of -1.

>It looks like after running unshunt, the same thing happens.  I do not see
>anything that appears to be a pattern among the shunted messages.  Are there
>any suggestions as to how I might fix this?  I am not too familiar with the
>Mailman set up on this machine, but I would like to get it fixed.

If it occurs reliably with these messages, it seems it is an issue with
the message content, but I have no idea what.