[Mailman-Users] SPAM to ******-bounces lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 20 17:17:45 CET 2007

Jon Slater wrote:

>I am receiving an excess amount of SPAM to my ‘bounces’ lists.  For example
>“board-bounces” or “members-bounces”.

<snip>

>Is there some setting somewhere that can block these or a way to link these
>accounts to SpamAssassin that can stop this?

You can turn off bounce_unrecognized_goes_to_list_owner. Then you have
the problem that a list member may be bouncing with an unrecognized
DSN, and you won't know it, but in my experience, this is rare. YMMV

It is better to block these with SpamAssassin in the MTA before they
ever get to Mailman, but you could create your own process which would
filter the mail and then pipe it to Mailman's mail wrapper with the
appropriate arguments, and arrange for the MTA to pipe the -bounces
mail to your process instead of directly to the mail wrapper.