[Mailman-Users] Install Issue -- Qmail/Mailman Interaction

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Feb 15 03:08:13 CET 2007

Greg Sims wrote:

>I installed mailman on a system that is running Qmail and virtual domains.

<snip>

>I sent an email to testing at dom.ain which was rejected with the following:
>

><testing at dom.ain>:
>
>xx.xx.xx.xx does not like recipient.
>
>Remote host said: 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17) Giving
>up on xx.xx.xx.xx.
>

>I believe there is a basic interface issue between mailman and Qmail.
>Please give me some pointers on how to get this sorted out.

I don't know Qmail, and Qmail's aliases have always been a particular
mystery to me, but aliases are required for Qmail to properly pipe
mail to Mailman's wrapper. This is described in the installation
manual at <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/qmail-issues.html>. If
that material doesn't tell you how to proceed, I suggest you ask on a
Qmail list/forum.

>PPS.  I'm sorry if this is the second post for this topic but I can't see
>anything in the archives after several hours.

I don't know why you didn't see anything in the archives (it's there
now), but my server received your original by email from the list
about 7 minutes after you sent it (over 6.6 minutes of that was in
greylisting of your first post).