[Mailman-Users] list name in email

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 10 02:17:45 CET 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>If I ever want to upgrade mailman (currently I have the latest
>stable version so no problem), can /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py
>be overwritten during upgrade or is it one of those files that don't get

It is one of the files that definitely does get overwritten in an
upgrade even if the upgraded version didn't change.

The things that don't get overwritten are list data and archives, site
passwords, updated templates installed per
custom handlers
mm_cfg.py, and a few other thing depending on how you count.

Pretty much every python module (.py file) gets replaced in an upgrade.

For this reason, whenever you change these things, at a minimum you
should make a patch file (diff) and keep a log of everything you've
changed so you can easily port your changes forward.

Better still, if your changes have general applicability, is to take
the trouble to read "Python coding style guide for Mailman"
<http://barry.warsaw.us/software/STYLEGUIDE.txt> (also included in the
source distribution as STYLEGUIDE.txt) and to see the wiki at
<http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Home>, so you can code your changes
in a way that makes them likely to be accepted, and then contribute
them back to the project.