[Mailman-Users] virtual domain setup with postfix

David Newman wo_shi_big_stomach at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 18:24:01 CET 2007

On Monday, January 29, 2007, at 04:18PM, "Mark Sapiro" <msapiro at value.net> wrote:

>>Basically, postfix delivers message to pctest at virt1.tld but nothing happens after that.
>

>Presumably, that's because Postfix is delivering the mail to a local
>mailbox 'pctest' instead of piping it to Mailman's mail wrapper via
>the command "/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pctest".

Yup. That is exactly what's happening (except that it's a virtual mailbox and not a local user account).

>This is really a Postfix question, not a Mailman question

Yes and no. I'd say it's more of a clueless-pilot question, esp. since Postfix is doing exactly what it's told -- in this instance, deliver messages to pctest at virt1.tld. The problem here is mailman-specific, though I'm unsure whether the solution is in mailman configuration or some combo of postfix and mailman configs.

I've read and reread and reread the mailman docs, and I don't see where and how virtual addresses get piped to the command above. The file /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases has commands like the above; the file /usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman does not.

For example, aliases has:

pctest:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post pctest"

but virtual-mailman has:

pctest at virt1.tld              pctest

I'm missing how to glue the two together, and this is NOT covered in the existing mailman docs.

Once I get this running I'd be glad to write up documentation and submit it for possible inclusion.

, but you
>might find the post at
><http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-January/055502.html>
>to be helpful.

Thanks. That post in turn links to an earlier howto which covers aliases but not virtual-mailman.

On Monday, January 29, 2007, at 05:47PM, "Paul Fox" <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:

> > However, MM never distributes the mail to list subscribers.
> > /var/log/maillog says each message is sent to
> > pctest at virt1.tld; however, the only files in
> > /usr/local/mailman/logs that change are smtp and subscribe
> > (and then only when list members are added).
>
>so it sounds like you have postfix aliases set up for "pctest-*", but
>not "pctest" itself?  is that right?

Actually, the opposite. I'd set up a virtual mailbox for "pctest" but none of the rest of the pctest-* hierarchy. It's not covered in the docs, but from Mark's email I gather that I shouldn't need this step -- instead mail should be piped to the command Mark gave above.

> > Basically, postfix delivers message to pctest at virt1.tld but nothing happens
> > after that.
>
>i don't use mysql, but my epiphany was when i realized i needed
>two separate mappings to be in place to get postfix and mailman
>working together.  you need the virtual domain map (which i believe
>you have) and you need the map that takes the result of the virtual
>domain map, and turns it into a "real" destination.

Right. That's really my question -- how is that done?

thanks!

/wsbs