[Mailman-Users] Mailman with remote smtp

Meenal Pant mpant at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 13 21:51:31 CEST 2007

I had sent an email to this list sometime ago with a question about
using Mailman with a remote smtp server. I have managed to make this
work with the following setup:
webserver.foo.com is the Mailman webserver where lists are hosted and
smtp.foo.com is the mailserver. Both machines have sendmail running on
them. I have created a mail alias on smtp.foo.com  for every list hosted
on webserver.foo.com. fetchmail runs on webserver.foo.com and pops email
from these accounts on smtp.foo.com and these mails are then posted to
the lists based on aliases defined in /etc/alias on webserver.foo.com

The problem is that this method is no at all scalable and portable.  Is
there a  better way of doing this ?

I am using a remote smtp server due to security issues. I do not want to
open any ports on the webserver. However fetchmail requires running
sendmail in daemon mode ( listening at port 25).  Is there a good
security solution if I decide to run an smtp server and the mailman
webserver on the same machine ?

Thanks
Meenal