[Mailman-Users] Messages not being delivered.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jul 15 16:41:18 CEST 2007

Brandon Slaten wrote:

>I just moved our Mailman lists to a new server.  Accessing the listinfo
>and admin pages works fine.  After creating a new list mail sent to that
>list is delivered.  However mail set to the old lists, the ones that
>were moved to this server, is not delivered.

What happens to mail to the old lists (after delivery to Mailman - see
below)?

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>.

>I do however get moderation and bounce notices from those lists.  I ran
>check_perms to see if there were any problems with permissions and got
>the following:
>
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/ofap_mgrs/config.db (fixing)
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/ofap_mgrs/config.db.last (fixing)
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/python/config.db (fixing)
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/python/config.db.last (fixing)
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/python/next-digest (fixing)
>file permissions must be at least 660:
>/var/lib/mailman/lists/python/next-digest-topics (fixing)

The log entry below "(delivered to command:
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post listname)" says you are running
Mailman 2.1.x. These residual 2.0.x files were converted to config.pck
and digest.mbox files when the installation was upgraded to 2.1. They
should now be deleted (assuming they are old and there are current
config.pck* files.

>I also have this from the logs.
>
>Jul 14 14:25:36 chandon postfix/qmgr[3905]: C13DF3793B:
>from=<username at host.ucar.edu>, size=629, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
>Jul 14 14:25:36 chandon postfix/smtpd[9619]: disconnect from
>host2.atd.ucar.edu[128.117.80.16]
>Jul 14 14:25:36 chandon postfix/local[9833]: C13DF3793B:
>to=<listname at host.ucar.edu>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent
>(delivered to command: /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post listname)
>Jul 14 14:25:36 chandon postfix/qmgr[3905]: C13DF3793B: removed

Assuming 'listname' above is one of the affected lists, the message is
being delivered to Mailman so the Postfix Aliases are OK. Refer to the
FAQ above (items 6-8 in particular) for other things which might be
wrong.