[Mailman-Users] Approved Password

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 20 18:26:14 CEST 2007

Trevor Dodds wrote:

>I'm setting up a Newsletter mailing list and currently using the
>moderated <from> address to allow sending, this is a problem because if
>anyone figures this out our list will be spammed to death.  I read that
>you could add an "Approved: <password>" into the body of the message but
>where in mailman do you set what the password would be?

It is the admin or the moderator password for the list. The same one
you use to access the web admin or admindb pages.

Also note that if your MUA (email client) supports it, it is much
better to add Approved: <pw> as an actual message header as opposed to
adding it as the first body line. We attempt to remove the line from
all parts of a multipart/alternative message body, but this doesn't
always work.

>I've also picked up that a few of the emails have the below added but
>the original is not sent with this in the body?

I'm not clear on exactly what you are saying here, but I think you are
talking about the msg_footer being added as a separate MIME part. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>.