[Mailman-Users] mailman cannot send messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 30 04:09:28 CEST 2007

Geo wrote:

>FreeBSD 6.2, after installed mailman from port /usr/ports/mail/mailman
>Apache is OK...but sendmail cannot work with mailman...I created list (named
>"mailman"), but mailman replies for attempt to send message by the way:
>The original message was received at Mon, 30 Jul 2007 02:00:40 +0400 (MSD)
>from localhost [127.0.0.1]
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
>    (reason: 2)
>    (expanded from: <mailman at bind9.cit.ru>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
>wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but
>the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>group "mailnull".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
>providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mailnull'.
>554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2
>-------------------------------------

I think you understand what the error is telling you. You have to
either make sendmail run the pipe as group mailman or you have to make
the wrapper expect to be run as group mailnull.

>>From post-installation instructions we can see:
>"you have to choose SENDMAIL option on config build and port will set
>MAIL_GID=mailnull to you",
>but makefile in port containes :".if defined(WITH_SENDMAIL)...
>MAIL_GID?     mailnull
>.endif"
>May be it's not enough

I have no idea how the FreeBSD port sets the expected group for the
wrapper. This is a FreeBSD Mailman question. In our Mailman
distribution, the expected group is compiled into the wrapper from the
--with-mail-gid option to configure.

The things you quote above seem to say it should be doing the right
thing, but I have no way to know.

What does the rest of the makefile do with MAIL_GID? Can you determine
if it is put in a file somewhere and what that file actually contains?
Perhaps you can fix it by changing that file if that's what it does.