[Mailman-Users] Mailing list issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 7 03:06:21 CEST 2007

Jeff Williams wrote:
>I have two different mailing lists on two different domains. One has been in
>operation for some time (shoptalk at identitypullman.com) and the other is new
>(list at rockhoundsoftball.com)

Are these domains served by the same Mailman installation?

>The new rockhound list is doing something that is causing me fits.
>The "From" address looks like this:
>From: list at rockhoundsoftball.com (sent by
>list-bounces at rockhoundsoftball.com)
>On my Identity list, it simply looks like this:
>From: Shop Talk <shoptalk at identitypullman.com>
>The added header information "(sent by list-bounces at rockhoundsoftball.com)"
>is really interfering with people's ability to receive messages as spam
>software seems to be grabbing these emails. I have compared preferences for
>both sites, and I don't know what is different.

The added information is probably added by the recipient's mail client,
not by Mailman. See
although your symptom seems somewhat different.

It appears that both lists are anonymous. "Shop Talk" in the From: of
the shoptalk at identitypullman.com list comes from the description
setting on the list's General Options page. If this is set on the
other list, and it is the same Mailman, I don't know why the From:
would be different.